Empire Online has ranked their top 100 Movie Characters. Here are the top 25:
1. Tyler Durden (Fight Club)
2. Darth Vader (Star Wars trilogy)
3. The Joker (The Dark Knight)
4. Han Solo (Star Wars trilogy)
5. Hannibal Lecter (Silence of the Lambs)
6. Indiana Jones
7. The Dude (The Big Lebowski)
8. Captain Jack Sparrow (Pirates of the Carribean Trilogy)
9. Ellen Ripley (Alien Quadrology)
10. Vito Corleone (The Godfather)
11. James Bond
12. John McClane (Die Hard)
13. Gollum (The Lord of the Rings)
14. The Terminator
15. Ferris Bueller (Ferris Bueller’s Day Off)
16. Neo (The Matrix trilogy)
17. Hans Gruber (Die Hard)
18. Travis Bickle (Taxi Driver)
19. Jules Winnfield (Pulp Fiction)
20. Forrest Gump (Forrest Gump)
21. Michael Corleone (The Godfather)
22. Ellis “Red” Redding (The Shawshank Redemption)
23. Harry Callahan (Dirty Harry)
24. Ash (Evil Dead)
25. Yoda (The Empire Strikes Back)
It’s ridiculous to put Tyler Durden at the top, he’s borderline top 25. The Joker despite, I agree, being one of the best villans in cinematic history, has actually become, through all the accolades, overrated. I’ve never seen the Hannibal movies, so I might not be the best person to say he’s up waaay too high. Vader, Solo, Jones are all top 10 locks, though I might put Solo above Vader.
The Dude and Jack Sparrow I’d defend, Depp’s single-handed performance raking in a billion dollars for Disney has to be worth something. It’s cheating to treat all James Bonds as even (same could be said for the Joker and the Terminator). Gollum was fine, but not worth the top twenty. Ellis Redding is a joke this high, as is Ash, Yoda should lose more ground considering the recent movies.
I didn’t look at the whole list but I would put here (just from the top of my head) Daniel Plainview (There Will Be Blood : ranked 29th by Empire), Emmet Ray (Sweet & Lowdown), half the cast from Magnolia, Navin R. Johnson (The Jerk), Jerry Maguire (Jerry Maguire)…
First woman ranked is Mary Poppins at 41st.
How many action stars are on this thing? Do we like any character that isn’t violent?